I hate to say that my 2012 did not start off in a good way. Early New Year’s Eve day my dear grandma passed away. She was an amazing person and I miss her terribly. By that evening I was sick with a cold and on the flight home to Kansas I got an ear infection and am still feeling horrible. However, this list provides such a bright silver lining that I feel that the year does hold much promise.
1. I was thrilled to receive a copy of the Better Homes & Gardens New Decorating Book in the mail today. At first I was just flipping through it to see which projects I had styled had been included, but then I started putting Post-It notes on decorating ideas I wanted to incorporate into my own home. I think I marked 50 pages! There are hundreds of gorgeous photos and columns throughout like Try This Storage, Think Like a Decorator and Paint Like a Pro. I’m so proud to be a contributor to this new book.
2. Another great piece that came in the mail this week was the new issue of New England Home that features a cover I styled, which photographer Michael Partenio shot. It’s a beautiful home in Vermont by Bird’s Eye Design Studio. Please check it out.
3. In other magazine news I was thrilled to flip through the pages of Elle Decor’s January issue to see my friend Rhonda Carman quoted in its pages. If you don’t know her by name, Ronda is the creator and editor of All the Best Blog, one of the most widely read design blogs in the world. If there’s a designer I want to know more about I start there as she has interviewed the very best. Besides the blog, Ronda is also the Global Brand Ambassador for Sferra Linens and is writing a book for Rizzoli. If you’re headed to the Design Blogger Conference in Los Angeles in February, she’s a featured speaker.
4. It’s my favorite time of the year at the Lillian August flagship store in Norwalk, Connecticut, this week as it is one of their yearly sales with prices slashed on everything from sofas to tabletop items.
I also noticed that they’ve added a new Waterworks section to the store. It’s like a mini Waterworks with tubs, towels, soaps and accessories.
5. The absolutely best thing about this week though is having an amazingly loving, supportive family and friends. I hope all of you out there are as lucky as I am to be surrounded by so much unconditional love. Here’s a photo from a few years back of me and my grandma. Every day she practiced the joy of giving. I hope to give a lot this year by recognizing people for their good work and helping them become more known to a wider audience through my blog and magazine work.